The Real World ... Blogger Style: RW...BS - A Real Olla Podrida

Thursday, December 14, 2006

RW...BS - A Real Olla Podrida

While browsing through a selection of library reference tools yesterday, I found Dictionary.com's "word of the day" email list, which I joined for the novelty value.

Today I received my first Dictionary.com word-of-the-day, which is:

olla podrida \ol-uh-puh-DREE-duh; oy-uh-\, noun;
plural olla podridas /-DREE-duhz/ or ollas podridas:

1. A stew of highly seasoned meat and vegetables.
2. A mixture; a hodgepodge.

This complex, Byzantine, at times long-winded work, which spent more than 60 weeks on Spain's best sellers list, throws together mystery, romance, and crime into one big mix like an olla podrida.
-- Lawrence Olszewski, review of The Shadow of the Wind, by Carlos Ruiz Zafon, Library Journal, February 1, 2004


I propose that all RW...BS blog members subscribe to Dictionary.com's Word-of-the-Day email list and whenever they are posting something, try to include the word of the day in some capacity.

I think that might make us seem clever.

Labels: ,