The Real World ... Blogger Style: KISS This!!!

Thursday, October 12, 2006

KISS This!!!


This will become sort of a dual post from me and Jonnie, if he remembers the concert...

I was at the Evil Empire today and this CD was in the bins at the front of the store...sort of the "discount" bin. Seeing as I have most of the "good" Kiss CDs: Alive, Alive II, Asylum, and Greatest Kiss, I didn't think this would have anything I didn't have on it. Well, it does. So for $7.50 I grabbed it. Why?? Because, #1, it has "I Love It Loud" and "All Hell's Breaking Loose" on it, but here's the important part...

It will be 20 years ago this December (Dec. 26th to be exact) that I went to my first concert. Kiss with special guest Ted Nugent. For a "just coming into metal" punk like myself, seeing first Sweaty Ted destroy the stage with his 500 miles an hour fretwork, not to mention the ladies bringing guitars and beverages to him on stage, followed by the ALMIGHTY KISS!!! The thing that sticks in my mind about this show was that, since Christmas Day was the day before, Kiss came out for the first encore and did an a capella version of "White Christmas" followed by "La Bamba" with Gene singing it. (Sidebar: when the song was done, Paul got on the mic and axed Gene where he learned Spanish...Gene answered "at the Hotel Catalina from some bitch named Juanita!!" When you're 16 and a moron like me, you'll remember it for a LONG time!!)

Jonnie must now see if he remembers that show...I remember Kilby and Duane A. and Marken (and Paul Fleck) were there...myself and some of my "former associates" met up with this motley band at the door and we damn near broke it down trying to get in!!! Reflect on your first concert if you remember it at all...