The Real World ... Blogger Style: Road Hogs

Sunday, February 12, 2006

Road Hogs

I don't have a car these days because a) I'm leaving the country soon and I need to save and b) my office is within walkin distance and c) whenever needed (which is quite often lately) I can take one of the company cars.

So here's a comparison of the cars in my life (the cars on the pics are not the actual cars since my stupid cam is still broken - but the makes and models of the cars are the same).

The contestants:
1. 1966 VW Käfer

My first car. It looked exactly like the one on the picture, only mine was a light pink. Yes, pink.

2. 2005 BMW X5 4.4i (company car)

Same model only in black with a few chrome extras.

3. 2005 BMW 630i Coupe (company car)


4. 2005 Mercedes A180 CDI (company car)


Category A - Speed:
1. Käfer: downhill: yes, somewhat; otherwise: hahahaha
2. BMW X5: Can go fast if needed, but accellerates not as good as I'd expected (maybe due to automatic transmission and the weight).
3. BMW 6: Wheeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!! I drove this one in january when it was snowing and the car had its winter tires on. They told me it shouldn't go faster than 140 mph with winter tires but I proved them wrong.
4. Mercedes: Preferably 0 mph. There is not one sitting position in this car that didn't hurt my back and I was always happy when I could get out of it.

Category B - Safety:
1. Käfer: Hahahaha. The Käfers from that time (and older) were known for spearing the driver with the steering rod when they had an accident.
2. BMW X5: It's good to know that you're the one hurting others in an accident.
3. BMW 6: You're going too fast to think about accidents.
4. Mercedes: You're praying that no elk will cross the road and makes your car flip.

Category C - Music best listened to in the car:
1. Käfer: Whatever is on the radio (provided that the radio decides to work that day and you're not going faster than 30 mph because after that the engine will be louder anyway)
2. BMW X5: The latest hiphop tunes. BASS. You're the hottest bitch on the streets and everybody should see and hear it.
3. BMW 6: Anything Rammstein or Ministry. Because you hate all the slow drivers.
4. Mercedes: Don Henley - Boys of Summer... well, anything happy and soothing that distracts you from your back-pains.

Category D - Food:
1. Käfer: Nothing. You need both hands to handle this thing.
2. BMW X5: Chewing gum.
3. BMW 6: Potato chips, extra spicy. Eaten while driving.
4. Mercedes: Fast food from the drive-thru. No drinks though because the fuckin cup-holder is too small!!! This would never happen in an American car, I guess.

Category E - What you should know about this car:

1. Käfer: You need strong muscles because this car doesn't have brake boosters or any other electrical aid. It is constantly vibrating which can a) be stimulating, b) make you want to pee really bad or c) massage away back-pains you got from sitting in a Mercedes A-Class.
2. BMW X5: Take good care of this one. It's Germany's most stolen car. I once surprised a guy trying to get into mine on a parking lot. He saw me and ran off before he could get in. Also, there's this button that automatically connects you to the BMW Service Call Center which can be irritating when you accidentally hit it and there's this real, male voice talking to you all of a sudden and you don't know anything else to say other than "KITT, is this you?!".
3. BMW 6: When you drive a car like this, people expect you to go fast on the Autobahn. You'll get bewildered looks or flashing lights if you decide to go not as fast as you could.
4. Mercedes: Only bring small cups or bottles. Avoid elks. Sometimes the CD player will spit out your CD without being asked to.

So, the final results are:
4th place: Mercedes. Far behind the others. I really didn't like this one too much.
3rd place: BMW 6. A great car that I really enjoyed driving but I didn't like that it made me speed so much and drive really aggressively.
2nd place: BMW X5. Amazing car, you won't believe all the great features and functions it has. Plus, I liked to look down on other cars.
1st place: Käfer. Because love will always win over technics.