The Real World ... Blogger Style: Road Hog Weekend

Saturday, February 11, 2006

Road Hog Weekend

My current vehicle is a 1991 Infiniti G-20 -


With one lone bumper sticker -

History -
I inherited this car from my ex and after 2 and a half years, I'm still not all that attached to it. I haven't even named it. This car has experienced a long history of abuse and suffers from a handful of serious problems.

One day on a drive back from Malibu, the brakes went out and my ex just decided to scrap it. I was without a vehicle after losing the one I arrived in Cali from Vegas in (but that's another story) and ended up buying it from her for $500, then paying to get the brakes fixed. Not a bad deal and it gets me around, but I really have to cross my fingers whenever I drive because I know it's on its last leg.

Probably the most notable of its various dents and scars, would be acid burns along the back trunk -


I still take the bus to work, which is cheaper though more time consuming. I just don't want to throw a ton of extra miles on this car and hasten its inevitable death.

It's biggest problem is the transmission. It will not go in Drive, I have to start driving in 2nd, then go to Drive later. I'm not sure I want to invest the money in repairing the transmission either since it has a lot of other problems including excessive oil leaks from various seals:



Oil leaks on brand new pavement.


The fuel pump used to burn out pretty regularly and I learned to reach into the gas tank and change it myself without the expense of paying a mechanic. I haven't had any trouble with it for the two and half years I've owned it though. I add gas when I get down to a quarter tank and I think the ex was burning out pumps by driving it around on empty all the time.

Trunk Contents -
While I was waiting for the pizza I ordered, I thought I'd photograph the trunk contents, which weren't too impressive on first glance:


A 21" X 16" X 12" box.


I removed the box and found a much more interesting array of items below:


[ Click to view larger image. ]


1. Gas can with about half an inch of gasoline in it
2. Jumper cables
3. Left over water from when I kept leaking 2 years ago
4. Socket set
5. Hardcover copy of Mankind - Have A Nice Day by professional wrestler Mick Foley
6. Box of oil (it's a lot cheaper by the box, you get a few free quarts that way)
7. Labor Ready hardhat I never returned
8. X-Men lunchbox containing screwdrivers, clamps, wrenches, and assorted tools
9. Funnel

Labels: , , , , , ,