The Real World ... Blogger Style: If you are ever in a bar in Tulsa...

Sunday, April 11, 2004

If you are ever in a bar in Tulsa...

And you hear the DJ say the words "Creek Nation in the house" take my advice: find the nearest exit and run like hell screaming into the night. Because life is about to get a hell of a lot more complicated. To tell you any more, I'd have to see your CDIB card.

At any rate, I just spent a lovely and low-key evening - wait, make that no-key evening - with my uncle, his girlfriend, and my very first ever real true love and his basically common law wife (also known as the mother of his child).

I loved this boy like mad from the time I was 13 until I was 23. I don't know if he ever loved me like that, but at a few points in our lives, simultaneously in fact, during nights that were too short, I think we felt "something" in our quivering mid-sections and recognized its existence between heavy breaths and fumbling tongues. He may have loved me like that. I think I saw it tonight.

In the 15 years my family has known him, he has come to be one of us, yet earlier my little age-thirteen heart still jumped when he looked at me and my mid-section quivered with an anxiety that will never quite be quelled. I don't suppose my love for him ever really grew up, and honestly, I hope it never matures.