The Real World ... Blogger Style: A Tribute

Tuesday, November 04, 2008

A Tribute

My Grandfather, Bill Corbin, died Sunday night at the age of 91.
<---- The Pennsylvania Railroad T1 engine at the Chicago World's Fair, which my grandpa (as we call him) fired. A magical engine.
He worked hard and he worked his kids harder. I knew the water well business he had (with Boss of the Tool Bitch) and I knew he was a railroad man (he fired steam engines and was a diesel-electric engineer with Pennsylvania/PennCentral/Conrail) before he retired in the early '80s. Most of all, he was tough. A small man, but tough. 7 kids, 3 wives, all of whom died before him.
<---- This rig is not too dissimilar from the 1-W rig that B.O.T.B and I still use to repair some wells around Columbia City and Whitley County. Tough machine, old technology, "Backhoe Bill" wouldn't have it any other way. (And he didn't borrow money...)
In honor I'm going to throw expensive tools (much like he would) until I feel better. Throw a toaster or a TV or a kid in honor of Backhoe Bill.