The Real World ... Blogger Style: Writing Cover Letters is Hard

Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Writing Cover Letters is Hard

Any suggestions?

"Dear Sirs:

Please accept this letter and the following resume as my application for the position of Part Time Legal Assistant you posted on CraigsList.

For the past several years, I have worked as the Administrative Secretary to the Director of Patient Care Services at Gateways Hospital, a position that was non-existent until I took it. Originally, the Director brought me on to assist with revisions on the hospital’s policies and procedures. As I proved myself by tackling that project, the Director increased my responsibilities to include payroll, scheduling, hiring, communicating with vendors and registry, collecting and analyzing data for quarterly reports, and many more administrative duties. With each new responsibility, I adapted to incorporate the task into work routine.

Now as I come to a point where I might move up in position, I realize that I do not want to make my career in heath care, and instead I am searching for a position in the field of law, specifically criminal law.

I believe that my strong office/administration skills along with my desire to learn and grow in the field of criminal law would make me an excellent Part Time Legal Assistant. Thank you for your consideration. I look forward to hearing from you and setting up a meeting with you at a mutually convenient time to further discuss my qualifications.

Sincerely,


Andrew H-----"