The Real World ... Blogger Style: The Diet

Friday, January 21, 2005

The Diet

Last night I had another conversation with DVL and Mannaz on why I no longer drink soda. I said that I quit to help lose weight, though it has done little to change my girth. I told them that I have been drinking a lot of ice tea instead, specifically Snapple.

"Diet Snapple?" Mannaz asked.

"No," I answered.

"How many calories are in that?" DVL replied.

So today when I stopped into the 7-11 to get my morning Snapple I checked.

Snapple has 100 calories per serving, and there are 4 servings in the 32 oz bottle I buy.
Coke has 100 calories per serving, and there are 2.5 servings in the 20 oz bottle.

I had just woken up, so I couldn't do the math in my head, but when I got to work, I loaded up my calculator and checked it out.

Snapple: 100 calories x 4 servings = 400 calories / 32 oz = 12.5 calories per oz.
Coke: 100 calories x 2.5 servings = 250 calories / 20 oz = 12.5 calories per oz.

So as I start my new diet Monday, I can take the option of bringing soda back into my consumption or removing both. I think I'm going to do a combo. Snapple will be replaced by Coke (or C2 depending if I take to the taste), but I'll be drinking a lot less of it.