The Real World ... Blogger Style: Random Geek Story of the Day! (included with fun fact of day)

Thursday, February 12, 2004

Random Geek Story of the Day! (included with fun fact of day)

Back in my undergrad, I had to take a world history class and this was back when I drank too much and spent time doing nothing over studying (not much unlike now). I figured I had not missed a class and I listened pretty decently so I did not even open the book before the exam. I flew through the exam feeling pretty good about it until the last question read, "explain the impact Racin had on Macedonia".

Well I had never heard of Racin, and didn't even have a clue as to what area of culture this question came from, so I wrote a 3 page essay on how the leisure time in Macedonia was spent on a track with the horses and buggies, with bets of land being placed on horses who were named Phillip I, Phillip II, and Phillip III.

Turns out this was not the right answer (right answer being: he was a man who was founder of modern Macedonian literature) and when I got the test back I had gotten -15 for not knowing, BUT the prof. gave me +10 for creativity.

Goes to show, if you don't know something, it really doesn't hurt to make it up.