The Real World ... Blogger Style: The Bodhisattva vows

Tuesday, March 08, 2005

The Bodhisattva vows

Dear everyone,
I will be practicing with the following vows from now on. I am still the same old AmyJo, full of shit, etc, and I won't use this blog to prostelytize or pull some messianic act or preach about buddhism. But last Saturday I got permission to sew a formal robe, which is the beginning of my re-alignment with Zen practice. This is a really big deal for me (feel free to tease me about it) and I thought I should let you all know. I doubt you will see any changes, but if I seem more subdued, it is probably because I am struggling with some idea of how I should behave and getting it wrong. If I seem more lovey-dovey, same thing. You are all welcome to question, observe, mock, etc any weirdness that may result. People get a little funky when they first start trying to figure out how to work with these vows. I am pretty scared, actually. So, if I seem to be getting self righteous, etc, please yell at me and hit me with a stick. Or not.
Thanks!

THE THREE REFUGES
1. Take refuge in Buddha
2. Take refuge in Dharma
3. Take refuge in Sangha
THE THREE PURE PRECEPTS
1. Not Creating Evil
2. Practicing Good
3. Actualizing Good For Others
THE TEN GRAVE PRECEPTS
1. Affirm life; Do not kill
2. Be giving; Do not steal
3. Honor the body; Do not misuse sexuality
4. Manifest truth; Do not lie
5. Proceed clearly; Do not cloud the mind (no intoxications)
6. See the perfection; Do not speak of others errors and faults (no slander)
7. Realize self and other as one; Do not elevate the self and blame others
8. Give generously; Do not be withholding (no greed, covetousness)
9. Actualize harmony; Do not be angry (do not harbor ill-will)
10. Experience the intimacy of things; Do not defile the Three Treasures

(this list is based on the one in the Mountains and Rivers order website http://www.mro.org/mro.html)