The Real World ... Blogger Style: AmyJo's book list

Wednesday, February 09, 2005

AmyJo's book list

Things I have read or am reading on the bus this week:

Delmore Schwartz In Dreams Begin Responsibilites
stories of Jewish intellectuals during the Depression, coming to terms with their own alienation and failure to live up to their promise. He must have influenced Salinger. Nabakov was crazy about the titular story.

"I see all history as a lovesick boy fumbling his sex in the darkness."

Camus A Happy Death
Protoype for The Stranger
Perfectly written. Framed my response to "Last Tango in Paris" because of its views on happiness and death.

"to lick his life like barley sugar, to shape it, sharpen it, love it at last..."

The Life of Pi
A boy stranded in a lifeboat with a Bengal tiger. What more could you ask for?
Just started it. I love shipwreck stories, and zoomorphic stories. Could YOU survive alone in a lifeboat with a very hungry man-eating tiger? I think not. I wonder how it ends.