The Real World ... Blogger Style: The saddest words of tongue or pen

Thursday, January 13, 2005

The saddest words of tongue or pen

Are the words it might have been...

I reflected seriously last night, on my two hour busride home, on what, exactly, had thrown me into such a swivet over Boz's offhand comment in the audio post. And I came to the conclusion that I, like all women, I'd bet, have already had enough marriage proposals that, if I'd accepted them all, would have enabled me to marry more times than Elizabeth Taylor (sidenote--is Liz Taylor Paris Hilton's mother??). Like poor Amanda in the Glass Menagerie, I have had my share of gentlemen callers. I'd like to sound the roll call, if I may.

First Suitor: Prince Roger/ alias Roger Sunshine
my age at the time: 5-7
duration of relationship: 2 years
Prince Roger Sunshine was an imaginary lover, whom I based heavily on Superman. He could fly, he had a cape, but he wasn't a superhero, he was a prince. His last name, "Sunshine" came I think from a doll I coveted that my working single mother of 3 couldn't afford, who had long blonde hair, named Suzy Sunshine. I wanted to look like her. I don't know where I got the name Roger.
the manner in which he proposed:
He flew me to the top of the Eiffel tower and presented me with a mink coat and I became a princess who was also a ballerina in her spare time. Or vice versa.

to be continued...