The Real World ... Blogger Style: Saddest Words of Tongue or Pen V and VI

Thursday, January 13, 2005

Saddest Words of Tongue or Pen V and VI

Suitors V and VI
Were best friends. VI betrayed V in typical goth fashion. Bloomington, Indiana. Who'd have thought it'd be a hotbed of people who liked to play vampire? I was an unsuspecting expatriot, about to live in the US for the first time since 3rd grade. I fell in with the wrong crowd. They seemed interesting and exotic after the crew-cutted Airforce kids I'd known abroad. They had long hair and watched noir movies. They wore black and rented out victorian hotels to play their little games. I was skeptical, but lonely.

Suitor V was a serial monogamist. He confessed to me a terror of being alone. We broke up, got back together. I whispered "I hate you" into his dyed-black hair. He said, "I hate you too". We licked each other's tears and smoked cloves. Then he proposed.

But I was in love with VI, crazy in love, out of my head. We'd meet between our dorms at 3 am, walking in the fog, and kiss under streetlights. He called me "sweetheart". He was a mean alcoholic who liked to act as an agent of chaos, but I didn't see it that way. I thought he was a tortured soul. Glamorous, dangerous, but sweet to me.

We were going to move to Seattle when he graduated. We were going to be writers. I believed him. I took a semester off and went to the Philippines. He called me long distance every day from Indiana. When I returned, he dumped me. Then asked me to reiumburse him for the phone bill. I gave him a carton of duty-free Winstons instead.

Soundtrack:
Nick Cave, Sisters of Mercy, Leonard Cohen, Tom Waits