The Real World ... Blogger Style: Saddest words of tongue or pen IV

Thursday, January 13, 2005

Saddest words of tongue or pen IV

Suitor #4
Was a big naive mama's boy. I seduced him with a sob story about Suitor #2. Our bodies worked together, but I felt too much a woman of the world for him. He was kind of a geek, but in a good way. He could pick me up and catch me when I fake-fainted. We had fantastic hormonal high school love all over the place--apartments where I babysat (kissing next to a suit of armor while the rugrats slept). on rooftops, in hotel rooms at resorts, in my room, in his room, on the train, on road trips, backstage after drama class...
Soundtrack:
Enya, Kenny G.
Method of proposal:
He gave me a claddagh ring he had made to spec by a Turkish jeweler. He wrote "I will always love you" in my yearbook (that was the prom song that year), gave me an 8x10 glossy portrait of himself and went to Stanford, where he promptly abandoned me for some girl in his fencing club. I sold the ring. It's not like I didn't see it coming.

He's married now and in the C.I.A. It never would have worked.