The Real World ... Blogger Style: AmyJong-Il

Friday, January 28, 2005

AmyJong-Il

I have a sick identification with North Korean dictator and narcissist Kim Jong Il, thanks to seeing Trey Parker and Matt Stone's brilliant interpretation of him in puppet form in their movie "Team America--World Police". I was deeply moved by the movie because, unwittingly, I think, it captured (while ridiculing) the nasty inner puppet that holds my psyche in thrall, the little demon-with-strings who tyrannizes my life--the demon soul, the sicko lost in a hall of mirrors, the ego who can only see its own image multiplied everywhere, sickeningly lonely and violent and proud and completely demented. I was humbled by a puppet. I don't think I can watch that movie again, the revelation was so horrifying. Somehow Kim Jong Il (as interpreted in marionnette form) revealed my own inner dictator to me. Since then I often meditate on the image of the fat-faced puppet singing "so ronery" in a vast red room, surrounded by images of himself that are dozens of feet high.

Oh, did I mention I was stoned when I saw it?
But still.
So anyway, today I read in Harper's a list of honorifics Kim Jong Il has bestowed upon himself. Feel free to apply any and all of them to me:

World's Greatest Writer
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Lodestar of the 21st century
Present-Day God
Guardian Deity of the Planet
Supreme Commander at the Forefront of the Struggle Against Imperialism and the United States
Greatest Saint Who Rules with Extensive Magnanimity
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love