The Real World ... Blogger Style: The Irish Liberace

Monday, November 29, 2004

The Irish Liberace

The highlight of my Thanksgiving was watching the Daniel O'Donnell PBS telethon live from Branson Missouri! For those of you unfamiliar with this phenomenon, D.O.D. is kind of like the Irish Liberace. He sings --nay, croons to hordes of little old ladies, flirting like a shameless gigolo and reminding them of their careless, pre-WWII youth. Their hearts fibrillate. At first I thought, 'what a whore' but then, as I watched my grandma smiling on the couch with roses in her cheeks (it might have been the cocktails) I thought, ok, in a way, he's kind of a saint, providing sensations of romance (and dare I say, ecstasy) for hundreds of thousands of grandmas who might otherwise go unfulfilled. So, if you know a "senior" lady who is feeling a bit low, just pop in a Daniel O'Donnell cd, dvd or cassette, and he will croon her back to girlhood and make her feel sweet sixteen. Cheers to the Irish Liberace, who has no real talent other than the ability to mince around onstage and make the old feel young again.

This message has been sponsored by your local public television network.